Monday, November 4, 2013

Slippers or Shoes?

 

Psalm 63:1-8   New International Version (NIV)

 

A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah.

You, God, are my God,
    earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
    my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
    where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary
    and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
    my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
    and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
    with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed I remember you;
    I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
    I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
    your right hand upholds me.

 


Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.  - Mark 1:35 (NIV)
 
A wail came from the back seat of the car as we journeyed out for a trip. “I’ve got my slippers on!” my niece lamented. Somehow in the excitement of the anticipated day, my niece had simply scampered into the car forgetting to change into her shoes, or indeed to prepare in any way. We still tease my niece about that incident at times,

 but it is a good reminder to me of the need to be prepared and to be spiritually ready for the day ahead. Having only my slippers on would mean I was ill-equipped and inappropriately dressed. Likewise, if I’m to be ready to follow God’s truths in this needy world, I need to spend time in prayer and in focusing on God’s word at the start of the day. How easy it is to rush into a new day without stopping to be properly prepared! Jesus set the best example. May God give all of us the grace to recognize our need and to make the time to be spiritually well heeled!

Thought for the Day

Are you taking the time daily to get prepared.

Prayer

Dear Father, today we seek your forgiveness, your protection, your enabling power and strength for all this day will bring. Amen.
Prayer focus  Those who feel unprepared