Monday, January 14, 2013

Are you listening?


What a Difference! from The Upper Room

6:1 As we work together with him, we urge you also not to accept the grace of God in vain.
6:2 For he says, "At an acceptable time I have listened to you, and on a day of salvation I have helped you." See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!
 Acts 4:12
There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among mortals by which we must be saved.


January 13, 1982, was the darkest day of my life. After 35 years of self-centered living and countless poor decisions, I found myself standing in my barn on top of a bale of hay, with a rope around my neck.





Just before I stepped into oblivion, I heard a still, small voice ask, “What about your three sons?” In an instant, God used the thought of my children to show me that I could not turn my back on life.


January 14, 1982, found me in the science classroom of a teaching colleague who was a Christian. We talked, and I called on Jesus Christ to save me.



That day, I became a new creation. In time, I attended a Walk to Emmaus spiritual-renewal program, and eventually I began the process to enter professional ministry. I retired from teaching, and on July 2, 2006, I gave my first sermon in the wonderful country church where I am privileged to serve as pastor.



 No matter how badly we mishandle our lives, God does not forget us. God’s love and forgiveness are always available to give us a new start.

Thought for the Day

One conversation can transform a life.

Prayer

Loving God, help us to reach out to those who need to know that they are loved and that their lives matter. Amen.
Prayer focus -Those considering suicide