Friday, January 4, 2013

Just Pray

 Pray without ceasing.


- 1 Thessalonians 5: (NRSV)15 See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
 
Mary was sick, and her condition seemed hopeless. Suffering from tuberculosis, she had become frail; most everyone felt she was near death. Even her mother had called family members to come to have a last visit with Mary before she died. When we went to pray for her, my faith was shaken. Even as we prayed, I didn’t believe her situation could change; I thought we would be called that same night to be informed of her death. One month later, Mary was still alive — no better, but no worse. At church one morning I noticed Mary’s mother crying.

 I was touched and began to ask God what to do. I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to visit Mary again to pray for her. I hesitated because her situation seemed hopeless; everybody knew she was dying. But God said in my heart, “Just do it.” So I obeyed. I went to Mary’s house after the service and prayed, even though I didn’t hold any hope. I “just did it.

”Two months later, I heard a knock at my door. When I opened it, Mary walked in. Her appearance had changed so much that I didn’t know it was she until she introduced herself. Mary is evidence of God’s power to heal. When you feel God’s prompting to pray, do it.
 

The Author Joseph Thomson Alum  (Nairobi, Kenya)

Thought for the Day

When God calls you to do something, just do it.

Prayer

God of miracles, open our eyes to see your works, even in situations that seem impossible to us. Amen.
Prayer focusThose living with chronic illness