Saturday, February 23, 2013

“I am thankful”

 

Psalm 105:1-6

105:1 O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples.
2 Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works.  3 Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.  4 Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually. 5 Remember the wonderful works he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he has uttered,  6 O offspring of his servant Abraham, children of Jacob, his chosen ones.

It is good to give thanks to the Lord.
- Psalm 92:1 (NRSV)
 
Many people greet each other by saying, “Hello. How are you?” I noticed that if I reply with the usual, “Fine,” few people seem to notice. So I began to respond, “I’m thankful.”My answer brings interesting responses. My neighbor called across our yards, “How are you?” When I replied, “I’m thankful,” he asked, “Why? What happened?” He assumed that something had gone well in order to cause me to be thankful. Clerks in stores often greet me with “How are you?” My “I’m thankful” causes them to look up and to respond, “That’s great,” “Wonderful,” or “That’s terrific.” Some express appreciation for my positive answer and thank me. This week, the school principal said, “I look forward to your saying, ‘I’m thankful,’ each day.” Some people ask, “Why are you thankful?” and I have an opportunity to tell them about God’s blessings in my life. If we take a moment to reflect, all of us can think of many reasons to thank the Lord. Expressing gratitude is good for us and can be a blessing to others.

The Author John M. Drescher (Pennsylvania, USA)

Thought for the Day  Consider answering “I am thankful” when folks ask, “How are you?” And be ready to say why.

Prayer  O God, give us thankful hearts so that we may acknowledge and share your goodness. Amen.

Prayer focus: To be more thankful