Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thought for the Day Hidden Talents

Hidden Talents - From the Upper room

What are my talents, and how can I use them to serve God?


There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.
- 1 Corinthians 12:4 (NIV)
As I watched the liturgical dancers, choir members, and musicians during a church program, I was envious that I did not have similar talents. I wondered what talent I had that would create the joy and excitement I saw on the faces of the people around me. I started to check off on a mental list the talents I do not have: I do not dance. I do not have a voice that any choir director would welcome. I am not musically inclined in any way. As my “do not” and “cannot” list grew, my self-esteem plunged.
What talent had God given me?
 
 
 
What talent had God given me? Discouraged, I closed my eyes and prayed. Romans 12:6 came to mind: “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.” In the fog of my doubt, I saw a glimmer of hope. God has given me the ability to listen patiently and to offer encouragement to those who come to me with their problems or concerns. I can also write; and that talent, combined with my eye for photography, allows me to create a variety of multi-media projects to entertain family and friends. I realized that no matter what our gifts, God loves each of us. God’s only request is that we use our talents wisely and fully.

Prayer

Thank you, God, for the gifts you have given each of us. Help us to appreciate them and to value them as you do. Amen.
Prayer focusThose who feel untalented