Monday, July 15, 2013

Honest Prayer

 

 A psalm of David.

Answer me when I call to you,
    my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
    have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
 
How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
    How long will you love delusions and seek false gods[b]?[c]
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Tremble and[d] do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
    and trust in the Lord.
 
Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
    Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy
    when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:1-8



Hannah replied, “I’m just a very sad woman. I . . . have been pouring out my heart to the LORD.”
- 1 Samuel 1:15 (CEB)
 
Psalm 4 begins with an anguished cry and ends with joy and peace, found in the safety of God’s arms. Often our prayers have the same pattern. We cry out to God and pour out our deepest feelings, turning them over to God. Were you raised to let it all out before God? I wasn’t.





No self-respecting farm boy would express emotions to anyone, certainly not to God. Sometimes, I didn’t even know I had feelings. My wife, Jan, helped me learn. Soon after we met, she asked how I felt. I had no idea.



Over time, I watched her pour out her feelings to God and to me. I discovered that once she did, she could let them go. Then I tried expressing my feelings to God. What a wonderful revelation!


When I read the psalms in earnest, I see honest prayer in nearly every verse. I see utter honesty in Jesus’ prayer from the cross: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Ps. 22:1, NRSV). Even on the cross, in dying breaths, Jesus showed us the way to the Father with deep, honest prayer. I’m sure God didn’t flinch at Jesus’ cry. It only tightened God’s loving embrace. So it is with us.

Prayer

Dear God, open us up to say how we feel. Amen.
 
Prayer focus   Those afraid to show their feelings to God