Monday, July 8, 2013

The Bridge

 

6:4 Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
6:6 We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin.
6:7 For whoever has died is freed from sin.
6:8 But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
6:9 We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.
6:10 The death he died, he died to sin, once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
6:11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus
Romans 6:4-11
 
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)
 
I watch the swift, smooth, swollen Mississippi River as it glides by. Just below the surface, deep, roiling currents tug and push. As I gaze across the river, I contemplate what would be required to ford such a monstrous body of water on my own. With no tools at hand, with no instructions, without a bridge — how could I presume to make it across this huge, murky divide? By my own efforts, it would simply be impossible. While I watch the river, I think about how swiftly my life is coursing by. Underneath the illusion of a smooth surface, emotional currents of ego and pride tug at me. Just as I cannot fathom swimming alone across the river, I cannot grasp any means by which I can reach heaven on my own.
 
 How can I ever stand before God without tools, without instructions, without a bridge? Through my own efforts, I cannot. No one can. Thankfully, God provided the way and built a bridge to heaven and everlasting life through his son, Jesus Christ. This bridge was made possible by way of a great sacrifice and glorious resurrection. Jesus is the bridge that crosses the great divide between us and eternity. We must simply believe to receive salvation.

The Author -Mary Hughes (Missouri, USA) - from The Upper Room

Thought for the Day -Christ’s resurrection provides us a bridge to salvation.


Prayer

Dear God, thank you for offering a way to spend eternity with you. Teach us to love and serve you each day of our lives. Amen.
Prayer focus  Those drowning in everyday living activities.