Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hesitation to Listen

Hesitation to Listen

1 Samuel 8:1-9 (NIV)

Israel Asks for a King

When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as Israel’s leaders. The name of his firstborn was Joel and the name of his second was Abijah, and they served at Beersheba. But his sons did not follow his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice.
So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”
But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”
 
  1 Samuel 9:15-17,
15 Now the day before Saul came, the Lord had revealed this to Samuel: 16 “About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin. Anoint him ruler over my people Israel; he will deliver them from the hand of the Philistines. I have looked on my people, for their cry has reached me.”  17 When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the Lord said to him, “This is the man I spoke to you about; he will govern my people.”

1 Samuel 10  (NIV)

10 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance?[a] When you leave me today, you will meet two men near Rachel’s tomb, at Zelzah on the border of Benjamin. They will say to you, ‘The donkeys you set out to look for have been found. And now your father has stopped thinking about them and is worried about you. He is asking, “What shall I do about my son?”’

 

Samuel heard the Lord speak clearly. He didn’t hesitate or question; he followed through immediately and anointed Saul as king. Samuel knew what God desired because Samuel listened. However, our reading for today tells of Samuel’s wicked sons who failed to walk in the ways of their father.

When I read that chapter I wondered why Samuel’s sons had not followed his example. I don’t know. I feel sure that this godly man prayed for his family. But I know sometimes I’ve felt like a failure as a parent, even though I’ve tried to be a good example. I’ve prayed for myself and for my children, asking for wisdom about how to rear them. But still they don’t always choose wisely, and sometimes I feel that their mistakes are my fault.




Then I remember Samuel. His problems with his sons could have caused him to waver and doubt his ability to hear God. Instead, he continued to listen to God and to obey. I have that same choice: I can let my failures, perceived or real, keep me second guessing my ability to hear God; or like Samuel, I can choose to listen and obey.

Thought for the Day

We don’t have to be perfect to hear God’s voice.

Prayer

Dear Lord, sometimes, even when we seek your direction, failure comes and we question if we really heard you. Help us to listen when we feel like hesitating. Amen.
 
Prayer focus  Parents of prodigals