Friday, September 27, 2013

Significance

 


Friday, September 27th, 2013

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established; what are human beings that you are mindful of them . . . . Yet you have made them a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor.
- Psalm 8:3-5 (NRSV)
 
A few days ago while I was driving, I saw the most beautiful sunset. I had just read Psalm 8 that morning, so it was fresh in my mind and I pulled over to watch. The sun was a vibrant orange as it sank over the horizon, painting the clouds with gorgeous shades of gold, red, and purple. I spent some time praising God for this beauty, and I was reminded of the pictures recently taken by the Hubble space telescope that orbits our planet. I marveled at the gigantic swirling clouds of colorful galaxies that are simply the work of God’s fingers. Sometimes I wonder as the psalmist did, “What are human beings that you are mindful of them?”
 Looking at the vastness of our universe can make me feel quite small and insignificant. But God reassures us that we are “crowned with glory and honor.” Throughout God’s word we are assured that God loves us and we are significant. What an honor!

Thought for the Day

As insignificant as we may seem within our vast universe, God cares intimately for us. Though we may be angry with God, God always loves us.

Prayer

Loving Creator, thank you for the beauty that you created and for being mindful of us. Amen.
Prayer focus    For an awareness of God’s creation