Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Inconvenient Discipleship




 

 
The king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”
- Matthew 25:40 (NRSV)
 
The Christian ministry where I work serves those in need by giving food and clothing and meeting other basic needs. One Saturday as my husband and I were on our way to a business associate’s company picnic, my cell phone rang.
 
One of my clients told me, weeping, that she had absolutely nothing to feed her children. My first reaction was, This is my day off, and I want to enjoy it with my husband. But then the Lord reminded me I am a Christian all the time, not just when it is convenient. I jotted down the woman’s address, and we headed to the food pantry. We also stopped by our house to get some meat for the family. When we arrived at the client’s home, two of her children ran out to greet us with loving hugs. As we brought sacks of groceries into the kitchen, the young mother stood crying and gave both of us a thank-you hug as well. Sometimes I am tempted not to respond to a call from God that is inconvenient or unpleasant. But then the Lord reminds me to take up my cross and follow Jesus — 24/7.

Prayer

Dear Lord, help us to follow you whenever and wherever you call us. Fill us with overflowing love for those in need. Amen.
 
Prayer focus - People who are hungry
 
 
“As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.” -Ecclesiastes 11:5