Friday, May 17, 2013

Measurement of Life


9:23 Thus says the LORD:
Do not let the wise boast in their wisdom, do not let the mighty boast in their might, do not let the wealthy boast in their wealth;
9:24 but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the LORD; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the LORD.  Jeremiah 9:23-24

The world and its cravings are passing away, but the person who does the will of God remains forever.  - 1 John 2:17 (CEB)

The Lord has blessed me, enabling me to be a wife, a mom, and a grandmother. However, I have struggled from time to time with low self-esteem. Because I do not have a college education or a career outside my home, sometimes I see myself as not having anything to offer the world. Other people have so much more to offer, it seems.  

Recently, as I read Jeremiah 9:23-24, I experienced an epiphany; I grasped a new perspective on how we should evaluate ourselves.

God said we are not to boast in the wisdom we possess, the strength we have, or the riches we’ve accumulated. Our education and whatever career or job we have are included as part of our wisdom and possessions. Just as we are not to boast, we also are not to be ashamed for our lack of a college education or a high-status job or career. If our value to the body of Christ could be measured, it should be measured according to our service to others.

The Author - Karenn Voorhees (Kansas, USA) - from the Upper Room

Thought for the Day - Each one of us is valuable to the body of Christ.

Prayer

Dear Lord Jesus, you came and served the world. Help us to see the ways we can follow your example in serving others. Amen.

Prayer focus - Homemakers