Friday, March 22, 2013

Good Neighbors







If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
- Romans 12:18 (NIV)
 
From the moment we moved in, we knew that our neighbors were going to be difficult. They argued loudly, their dogs barked, and their music blared at all hours. Though we asked them to quiet down, our requests did little more than provoke them.

Their lifestyle and values differed from ours, and nothing seemed to bridge the gap. So we chose to distance ourselves. Weeks turned into years. Weary and frustrated, I asked God, “Why aren’t my prayers enough? Isn’t this situation ever going to change?”



Troubled, I searched the scriptures. I came across Jesus’ admonition, “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt. 22:39). The verse was familiar; but in my frustration and anger, I had forgotten that these neighbors were God’s people, just as I am. God’s words pierced my heart that day, reminding me to not only recite the commandments but to live them out. My neighbors did not change, but my attitude toward them did; and we were able to live peaceably beside them.

Prayer

Dear Lord, open our hearts to love those you have placed in our lives. Amen.
Prayer focusNeighbors in conflict