Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Throw It Away?

 Read Hebrews 11:1-7


Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
- Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)
 
The African violet on top of my refrigerator had bloomed, and the purple flowers were beautiful. My son gave me the plant when he was eight years old, and the violet had never bloomed before. Many times over the years I thought I would throw it away because of its hopeless condition, but I didn’t.



Tears ran down my face as I thought about what God had done for my son. Five months earlier, he had entered a Christian recovery center for drug addicts. The transformation God has made in his life is miraculous. Jeremiah 29:11 says that God plans a future for us that is good and full of hope

I compared my son to the violet. As I had cared for the plant over the years, I had cared for my son by praying for him. Eventually, life and beauty came forth from both. If we throw away our hopes and dreams because the situation looks grim or change takes too long, we may miss what God is about to do. When we continue to trust, God works faithfully to accomplish good.

Thought for the Day:  In God’s kingdom, each of us will blossom and bear good fruit

Prayer:  Eternal Father, you promise that the desert will blossom and we will see your glory (Isa. 35:1-2). Help us by faith to see hope in the midst of gloom and to know that you can transform any life. Amen.

 
Prayer focus:  Families of those with addictions and cancer