Sunday, March 10, 2013

Heart transplant

The psalmist wrote, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.”
- Psalm 51:10 (NRSV)
I saw a television news story about a 68-year-old Israeli man who, after 10 years of serious heart disease, had received a heart transplant. The donor was a young Russian man who had died in tragic circumstances. He had been killed on the street. A year after the operation the man was able to meet with the mother of the person who had given him life. The meeting was very emotional. The woman asked if she could press her ear to his chest so that she could hear the beating heart of her son.


 Twenty years ago I was also dying — but in a spiritual sense. Then I, too, had a heart transplant. Here is how the prophet Ezekiel described my operation: “A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh” (Ezek. 36:26). My donor, my Savior who gave his life for me, is Christ Jesus.


He also died in tragic circumstances. He was killed on the cross. I received from my donor a new heart. Now the heart of my Savior beats in my chest, and I sing praises to the risen Christ!

The Author  Irina Ivanova (Pskov, Russia)  from the Upper Room

Thought for the Day -  Listen for Jesus above the noise of the world.

Prayer

Lord Christ, you saved us. You gave us eternal life. Praise and glory be to you forever. Amen