Thursday, April 25, 2013

Winning Approval

Ecclesiastes 7:15-20 

7:15 In my vain life I have seen everything; there are righteous people who perish in their righteousness, and there are wicked people who prolong their life in their evildoing.
7:16 Do not be too righteous, and do not act too wise; why should you destroy yourself?
7:17 Do not be too wicked, and do not be a fool; why should you die before your time?
7:18 It is good that you should take hold of the one, without letting go of the other; for the one who fears God shall succeed with both.
7:19 Wisdom gives strength to the wise more than ten rulers that are in a city.
7:20 Surely there is no one on earth so righteous as to do good without ever sinning.

Do not be too righteous, and do not act too wise . . . Do not be too wicked, and do not be a fool.


- Ecclesiastes 7:16-17 (NRSV)
 
When we were adolescents, my brother and I strove fiercely to win our dad’s approval. This created a pattern of competition that continues to interfere with our relationship years later. During a recent wilderness hike, my brother took the lead. The trail wasn’t especially difficult, and he set a frantic pace. Before long, however, he was gasping and suffering muscle cramps. We made it back safely, but that competitiveness made it difficult for us to enjoy our time together.

 As a young Christian, I strove fiercely to win God’s approval as well. I tried to be a perfect Christian: I tried to pray longer, I read the Bible more diligently, and I behaved more piously than everyone else. That attitude, however, only alienated those around me.
 
 When I read Ecclesiastes 7:15-20, I was appalled. How could someone be too righteous? And how could the writer suggest that we tolerate evil? Finally, I realized that, try as I might, I can never be perfect. I can live as pure and holy a life as possible and avoid pretension of righteousness, but I don’t have to win God’s approval. It’s free and unconditional. I need only to accept it.
 
 
 
 
 
The Author  Thomas Dury (Colorado, USA)  from the Upper Room
 
Thought for the Day  Stop struggling and allow God to love you.

Prayer  Dear God, may we always be aware that our good standing with you rests solely on your grace. Amen.
 
Prayer focus    Those trying to earn God’s love