Friday, April 12, 2013

In the Family

 

31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Don’t give offense to Jews or Gentiles[f] or the church of God. 33 I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved.
11 1 And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.

 

Paul wrote, “Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.”
- Philippians 3:17 (NRSV)
 


“I can tell you’re mother and daughter,” the salesclerk said. We smiled, making no comment. We’ve heard it before, and it always amuses us because we do not share DNA. My husband and I adopted our daughter when she was six weeks old.

 So what makes us look alike? Living with me for 20 years, my daughter has picked up many of my characteristics. We think alike; our reactions are similar. In other ways we are quite different, but observers notice the ways we are the same. When we are adopted into the family of God with Christ as our elder brother, something similar happens.

 We spend time with God and with other believers; we discuss important ideas, and we gradually become more like Christ. We hope that when we go out into the world, people are reminded of God’s love and compassion and want to follow Christ because of what they see in our lives.
Thought for the Day: As God's children, we are meant to show the family traits of love and compassion.

Prayer

Almighty God, help us to live so that people see Christ in us. In his name we pray. Amen.


Prayer focus  Adoptive parents and those needing adoption