Monday, April 1, 2013

Reflections

 John 15:9-17

15:9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.
my friends if you do what I command you.
15:15 I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.
15:16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.
15:17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one 15:10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
15:11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
15:13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends.
15:14 You are
another
 
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.  - John 3:16 (NRSV)
 
“I know that my hair is sometimes questionable when I get out of bed in the morning,” my husband smiled as he walked into the kitchen for his morning coffee. “But I just looked in the mirror, and what I saw almost frightened me!” I smiled because I could certainly relate to what he was saying. Who hasn’t looked in the mirror and been shocked, surprised, or amused at what they saw? Mirrors play a very important part in helping us maintain our appearance, and what we see influences how we feel about ourselves.


But is a mirror that shows us how we appear to ourselves and to other people as valuable as one that would allow us to see ourselves as God sees us? Easter is the perfect reflection of how God feels about us. When we look at the cross, we see that God loves us enough to die to have a relationship with us. That tells us how much God values each one of us.


When we look at the empty tomb, we see that no matter what happens, God has the power to see us through anything — even death. Knowing this, we can face life with trust. Jesus came to show us God and to reflect God’s love for us. (See John 14:8-9.) Easter invites us to see ourselves worthy of redemption, loved beyond measure, and created for eternal life!
God of the empty tomb, thank you for your love that is beyond understanding. Help us to see and love others and ourselves as you do. Amen.
Prayer focusThose doubting God’s love for them