Thursday, April 11, 2013

Who Said “Change”?

Matthew 25:31-40

25:31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory.
25:32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
25:33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left.
25:34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
25:35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
25:36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'
25:37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink?
25:38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing?
25:39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?'
25:40 And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'

Every week I volunteer at a juvenile detention center with others from my church. My goal when I joined this ministry was to change these young people and give them the tools they need to make it in the world today. Early on in my volunteer work, one of the former inmates was re-arrested (unfortunately, a fairly common occurrence). I saw that achieving my goal wouldn’t be easy. As volunteers, we provide a positive influence for the young people as we talk to them about life and introduce them to passages of scripture that can guide them when they are released. But how are we ever going to change them? Instead of becoming discouraged, I re-read the verse (above) that inspired me to get involved in the first place. Jesus never said to change anyone.

Whether we are meeting a stranger, a prisoner, or someone who is sick, Jesus gave us his direction. Visit these people. Spend time with them. I have to trust that God will work through us to reach these young people during our visits and beyond. I try not to become discouraged when I learn that a former resident is in trouble again. I return to the detention center the next week to show unconditional love.
Thought for the Day: God sends us not to change people but to love them. Link2Life: Volunteer with a ministry group in your area to mentor juvenile offenders in detention.

Prayer

Dear God, help us to stop trying to change others. Use us instead to show your love and mercy. Amen.
Prayer focus    Our youth and juveniles in detention