Wednesday, April 24, 2013

One Step Further

Matthew 4:18-22

4:18 As He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea--for they were fishermen.

4:19 And He said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fish for people."4:20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.4:21 As He went from there, He saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee, mending their nets, and He called them.
4:22 Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed him.

 

- Romans 10:14 (NIV)  How, then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
 
In my Bible study group, John requested prayer for his elderly neighbor, Sam, who had suffered a serious fall. John was helping run errands for Sam.

Our group leader prayed for Sam’s health and also that John would have a chance to speak to Sam about Christ. Afterwards, John remarked, “It never occurred to me to talk with Sam about Jesus.”One person in our group said that helping Sam was, in fact, witnessing to him. And to be sure, it is.

 But another person said, “Telling him about Christ goes one step further.”That made me think. I enjoy visiting people who are sick or lonely, and I help by giving them rides and meeting other needs. But how often do I speak to them about my faith?

 Do others know that I do these loving acts because Christ is my savior? Do they know what courage and strength and love Christ brings to my life? Although I enjoy the friendships I make, my goal should be to draw people not to myself but to Christ by reading scripture or a devotional or offering to pray.

 From now on, I want to go one step further and witness about my faith in Christ with words  well as deeds.

The Author  Janice Davies (Illinois, USA)  from the Upper Room

Thought for the Day  Witnessing includes both words and actions.


Prayer

Dear God, help us to spread the good news of your love in words as well as deeds. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.