Friday, April 19, 2013

Measuring Up

 
Living in the Light
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. Ephesians 5:31  
 1.Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us 3 and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.  Ephesians 5:1-3  (NLT) 
 

Speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ.  - Ephesians 4:15 (NRSV)

 
Recently while filling out job applications, I completed several personality assessments. Many of these questionnaires have asked me to compare my own traits and abilities to those of the general population. After completing several of these surveys, I realized I had repeatedly chosen the response, “I perform (a specific task) at least as well as most others.” This repeated response reminded me that I often use others as the gauge of my conduct.


The apostle Paul, in his letter to the church in Ephesus, reminds me that rather than comparing myself to those around me, I should strive to follow Jesus’ example. His life is the perfect example for me to follow. As ambassadors for Christ and children of God, we are called to be set apart, holy. God loves us and accepts us as we are, but we have a higher standard to aim for. I know I will never be sinless, but I can work to sin less as I look to Jesus as my role model. Rather than comparing myself to my peers, I now ask myself, How am I measuring up to Jesus’ standard for my life? around me.

Prayer

Dear Lord, thank you for sending Jesus as the perfect example for us to follow. Help us to be more like your son so that we may better show you to others. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
 
Prayer focus  Those looking for work