Sunday, June 16, 2013

God’s Kindness

 


 
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35


 

My Father Is A Christian My father is a Christian;
He leads our household well;
With instruction from the Bible,
Right behavior he'll compel.

Yet he steers us with compassion;
His gentle love is true;
He conforms to our Lord Jesus,
So we know just what to do.
He teaches us with purpose,
Guides us in all Godly ways,
So we will take the right path,
And serve our Lord with praise.

I'm glad you're a Christian, Dad;
You help me see things clearly.
I'll always look up to you,
And love you very dearly.
- Joanna Fuchs
 God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  - John 3:16 (NIV)
 
My Dad was 87 when he died. He loved God, and he loved people. I miss the kindness in his eyes and his voice, his gentleness and care. He made me feel valued and important. It wasn’t always this way. When I was 30, he apologized to me for showing more attention to my brothers than to me when we were children.

I had felt rejected and unimportant. Since then, God used my dad in wonderful ways to show me love. He became more attentive to me; he listened well, showing an active interest in my life. He was caring and kind and corrected me in a very loving way. I experienced healing and a sense of being greatly valued. I no longer felt worthless. Through my dad,





I came to understand the kindness of Jesus. Jesus demonstrated great love for people, especially the outcast and unpopular. He refused to condemn the woman caught in adultery. He searched out the demon-possessed. Jesus brought light to the darkness; and he calls us to be people of light who bring healing, love, and acceptance to others.

Prayer    Dear God, may we be filled with your love so that it flows from us to those in need. We pray in the name of Jesus, who taught us to call you father, saying, “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”* Amen. *Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV).
Prayer focus   Those whose parents show favoritism