Monday, June 10, 2013

One Ring, No Circus

Mark 10:46-52

10:46 They came to Jericho. As He and His disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside.
10:47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"
10:48 Many sternly ordered him to be quiet, but he cried out even more loudly, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"
10:49 Jesus stood still and said, "Call him here." And they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take heart; get up, he is calling you."
10:50 So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus.
10:51 Then Jesus said to him, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man said to him, "My teacher, let me see again."
10:52 Jesus said to him, "Go; your faith has made you well." Immediately he regained his sight and followed him on the way.

 
My four-year-old twin daughters and I were at the circus. At times the arena would go dark and a single spotlight would shine on the ringmaster. He was dressed in vibrant, flowing clothes with an extra-large hat. His voice boomed as he called attention to himself and to the next act. The image of this ringmaster made me think of another Master.

But this master, Jesus, was different. He did not stand on a box and wave his arms and shout, “Gather ‘round and see the miraculous. First, someone confirm that this man is really blind. Now, watch and be amazed!” Instead, Jesus simply asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”

 Jesus’ miracles were usually focused on helping someone. His miracles impress me not so much because of their display of power but because they reveal Jesus’ caring heart. Multiplying fish and bread is quite amazing, but what really draws me to Jesus is that he noticed when people were tired and hungry and did something about it. Jesus did miracles because he cared.

Prayer
Dear Jesus, help us to follow your example and care for the people around us. Amen.
Prayer focus - Those who need my care