Sunday, June 2, 2013

Let Your Light Shine

 


The Lord says, “I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”  - Isaiah 49:6 (NRSV)
 
I was traveling to church by bus one Sunday morning wearing my best church clothes and holding my Bible. The conductor bumped my head twice as he was giving change to another passenger. I wanted to shout at him in the strongest terms, but something restrained my tongue. I noticed his eyes were bloodshot, and I could smell alcohol on his breath. For the moment I kept quiet, and I am glad I did. The conductor looked at me and said, “You are going to church, yah? Please pray for me that I can change. I want to change.” I asked him his name, and I talked with him about the love of God. Then I prayed for him when I got off the bus. Would I have had a chance to talk with him about God if I had scolded him or argued? I doubt it. How we choose to respond in daily situations can be a light to those around us. I thought about Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:16, “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.” What we do or say can lead people toward God or away from God. May we choose to serve as God’s lights wherever we see darkness around us.

Prayer

Loving God, teach us to share your love and light to those around us whom we find difficult. Remind us that they too are your children and worthy of your grace. Amen.
 
Prayer focus - Mass-transit workers