Monday, June 24, 2013

See The Whole

Psalm 103   Of David.

Praise the Lord, my soul;
    all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—

who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
The Lord works righteousness
    and justice for all the oppressed.
He made known his ways to Moses,
    his deeds to the people of Israel:
The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
    slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
    nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
    or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him;

12 as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
14 for he knows how we are formed,
    he remembers that we are dust. 

- Psalm 103:1-14 (NIV)
 
My mother committed suicide when I was six years old. I found her body. No one spoke to me about her after her death, so I grew up not knowing her as a whole person. I remembered her most vividly at her worst moment. On the fiftieth anniversary of her death, the Lord nudged me to get to know my mother. In response, I spent six months researching her life and traveling to places where she had lived, studied, and worked. With the support of my wife, my dad, and many other people, I was able to “meet” my mother. I learned about her life and how much she loved me. Instead of a distant, unknown, and traumatic figure, she became my mom.

During this healing process, God showed me that as I strive to see others in the way God views them, I must see beyond their worst moments. Jesus did not reduce Peter to the lack of faith Peter revealed when he sank beneath the waves or when he denied his Lord. Instead, Jesus saw Peter as a flawed follower who loved him deeply and who had gifts that transcended his sins. We can extend the same healing grace to those around us and to those who have come before us.

Thought for the Day  -  Everyone has their flaws we must look beyond to see God's gifts

Prayer 

Dear Lord, help us as we seek to extend your grace to family members who have hurt us. Amen.
Prayer focus  -  Families of suicide victims