Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Making Excuses

 


Moses said to the Lord, “O my Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor even now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.”  - Exodus 4:10 (NRSV)
 
When Moses was called by God, Moses’ first response was, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” (Exod. 3:11, NIV). God then countered all of Moses’ objections about his mission. God gave him power to perform miracles and promised to go with him and teach him what to say. Moses still was not willing and wanted somebody else to be given that job. God was angry but then commissioned Aaron to speak for Moses. My situation was something like Moses’.

 A couple of years ago, I was hesitant to take up a new responsibility in the organization. I had neither academic qualifications nor the experience for the new job. I felt inadequate and fearful. At the same time, I sensed that the new assignment was something God wanted me to do. Gradually my thinking changed. Instead of considering only my limitations, I started taking into account the help from God that would be available to me. After taking some time to decide, I agreed to take the new job and prayed for guidance in doing it. God was faithful and gave me not only wisdom for the task but also power to carry it out.

Prayer.  Source of strength, help us to focus not on our limitations but on your unlimited resources. Amen.
 
Prayer focus  -  Those who feel inadequate for the task