Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rock In A Storm

 

Psalm 57:1-3

When David fled from Saul into the cave.

Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me,
    for in you I take refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
    until the disaster has passed.
I cry out to God Most High,
    to God, who vindicates me.
He sends from heaven and saves me,
    rebuking those who hotly pursue me—[c]
    God sends forth his love and his faithfulness.


The Lord is . . . my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  - Psalm 18:2 (NRSV)
 
We were climbing a mountain in Washington’s Cascade Range. The weather was calm, we were below snow level, and the summit was within sight. Suddenly, at about 7,500 feet, we encountered a fierce wind that made movement difficult and dangerous. Clutching our jackets and trying to protect our eyes from blowing debris, my climbing partner (who years later became my wife) and I crawled behind a large boulder. The rock offered protection until we could resume our climb to the summit, where the air was clear and calm.

 Our lives often follow a similar course. Challenges and uncertainty may suddenly arise, frustrating our plans and disrupting our journey. Unemployment, loneliness, and illness may confront us when we feel least able to cope. However, when difficulties and peril surround us, we can take shelter in the rock that is the Lord, knowing God hears our prayers and offers refuge for us both on this earth and for eternity.

Prayer

Dear Lord, we thank you for being our rock during the storms of life. We pray that we may be a blessing to others in need. Amen.
 
Prayer focus  -  Those who feel overwhelmed by life