Sunday, August 25, 2013

Adversity or Opportunity?

 

Praise to the God of All Comfort

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.  2 Corinthians 1:3-7

The Lord said, “See, I have refined you, but not like silver; I have tested you in the furnace of adversity.” - Isaiah 48:10 (NRSV)
 
In the last month, I have received too much sad news. My grandfather died, leaving behind my grandmother, to whom he had been married for over 70 years. My brother and his wife, parents of four children, are divorcing. My college-age daughters may not be coming home this summer. I have felt each successive loss press me farther down emotionally.

Then, in my Bible study group, someone called attention to a verse I had read but not considered: “See, I have refined you, but not like silver; I have tested you in the furnace of adversity.” My adversity may not seem extreme to some. I have not lost a spouse to death or divorce. My daughters are taking a necessary step toward living as independent adults.
 But not one of the events in my life is easy for me; my grief is real, if not extreme. Thinking about what God can help me learn during this time has encouraged me. I have something to focus on besides the hurt. What might other people help me see? Perhaps I can learn something about God’s character and faithfulness as God walks with me through these days.

Thought for the Day

I can look for opportunity in today’s adversity.

Prayer

Thank you, God, for your word, which reminds us that you have our benefit in mind even in painful circumstances. Please help us to cooperate with you in the refining process and to be ready to comfort others as you have comforted us. Amen.
Prayer focus  Those grieving a loss needing God's presence