Thursday, August 8, 2013

Good Habits

Galatians 5:22-26

 
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. New International Version (NIV)




Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
- Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)
 




In college, I had a roommate who made her bed every day. I noticed that because she was faithful in that small thing, she was able to give greater attention to more important tasks. Every day, no matter how much she had to do in the day or how late she’d been up studying, she rose early to go for a run, take a shower, make her bed, and spend time in God’s word without the distraction of a messy room. I did not share my roommate’s discipline, but challenged by her example, I started making my bed, too.

Now, years later, I still make my bed every day. My roommate’s example taught me that by cultivating good habits now, I can maintain good habits in the years to come. As I become diligent in small things, I find larger things much more manageable. As I become more able and faithful to do greater things, people around me notice a difference in my life. These principles extend far beyond just making our bed every day. As we conquer small, manageable changes in our lives, God entrusts us with greater challenges. As we grow in obedience to God’s will, the light God produces within us shines even brighter.

The Author - L. Alexis Paquette (Maine, USA) - from The Upper Room

Thought for the Day

God gives us opportunities to be faithful every day.

Prayer

Awesome God, thank you for teaching us how to live a life that is pleasing to you. Show us opportunities to honor you today. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Prayer focus - Those building new habits