Sunday, August 18, 2013

Reason for Rejoicing


 

 

 Trials and Temptations

 

 

 

 
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  - James 1:2-3 (NIV)
 

It was a productive morning. However, shortly before lunch, I interrupted my sermon preparation to check on something with my wife. I went downstairs and discovered her cleaning up water that had flooded the basement floor. I had recently repaired the washing machine, so I knew my lack of thoroughness had probably caused the problem. My reaction was anger — at myself for my carelessness, and at the situation because cleaning up the water would waste valuable time. My anger didn’t change anything. I wasted energy and emotion that could have gone toward our cleaning efforts. And my anger no doubt impacted my sermon preparations.

When we are disappointed, frustrated, or have unexpected trials, it’s easy to become needlessly angry. However, if we obey the word of God and rejoice even in our struggles, we’ll have grace to endure the immediate trial. In addition, as we grow in endurance, the Lord will use it to make us “mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James 1:4). That is reason for rejoicing.

Thought for the Day

God can use our struggles to strengthen our faith.
Prayer
When trials come to us, O God, help us not to focus on our anger but on your love and strength that not only help us to endure but to grow in our faith. Amen