Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Standing at Your Door

To the Church in Laodicea

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
 
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.

20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

God’s Presence


The psalmist wrote, “Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?”
- Psalm 139:7 (NRSV)
 
A few days ago I had a conversation with a friend about the tangible presence of God in our lives. My friend said that although he believed completely in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, he didn’t really experience God in his daily life. After we parted, I couldn’t get his words out of my mind. Do I sense God’s presence with me each day? I asked myself. I felt that I always could count on the Holy Spirit’s comfort when I was stressed and that I could ask for help.




My spirit would always rejoice during the worship service in my church. And I always had a sense of God’s presence when I was engaged in Christian service such as missions or teaching Sunday school. But I had to admit that I really did not feel God’s presence during my normal everyday routine.





Scripture teaches us that God is always with us. I also knew that the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth. I finally realized that guidance was available for me every second of every day if I would just open my eyes and look for it.
 
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:37-40
 Now I experience God’s presence every day by noticing opportunities to help others at every turn. I can do this at home and everywhere that my day-to-day activities take me.

The Author - William E. Sears, III (Georgia, USA) - Portions from The Upper Room

Thought for the Day

Where can I see God’s presence in my life today?

Prayer

Dear God, teach us to be aware of your presence with us at all times and in all our daily activities. Amen.
Prayer focus  Someone who doesn’t know God yet