Saturday, August 10, 2013

Please Call

 

1 Thessalonians 5:16-24

New International Version (NIV)
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

Pray continually.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV)
 
The phone sits silent. Why hasn’t she called? It had been several days since I had heard from my daughter. We had formed the habit of making contact, just to keep in touch. She leads a very busy life; so when I don’t hear from her, I know she has simply forgotten. She would call if anything were wrong. But I miss her calls, however brief. Suddenly it dawns on me. This is the way God must feel when I don’t pray. Reminders of God’s love surround me. But sometimes in the rush of everyday life I put off spending time in prayer or forget to thank God. God loves to hear from us. Whether in long prayers or short prayers, God wants to hear whatever is on our minds. God cares. God is interested and will help if asked. God is always there, waiting for my “call.” The telephone finally rang that day. When I heard my daughter’s voice, my heart was filled with joy. I will never again think my prayers are too short, too long, or too unimportant for God, who always receives them with love and joy.

Thought for the Day

Call or send a card to a loved one.

Prayer

Thank you, loving God, for always being ready to listen to us. Amen.
 
Prayer focus  -  Those waiting for a call