Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pass It On

 

49:8 Thus says the LORD: In a time of favor I have answered you, on a day of salvation I have helped you; I have kept you and given you as a covenant to the people, to establish the land, to apportion the desolate heritages;
49:9 saying to the prisoners, "Come out," to those who are in darkness, "Show yourselves." They shall feed along the ways, on all the bare heights shall be their pasture;
49:10 they shall not hunger or thirst, neither scorching wind nor sun shall strike them down, for he who has pity on them will lead them, and by springs of water will guide them.
49:11 And I will turn all my mountains into a road, and my highways shall be raised up.
49:12 Lo, these shall come from far away, and lo, these from the north and from the west, and these from the land of Syene.
49:13 Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the LORD has comforted his people, and will have compassion on his suffering ones.
Isaiah 49:8-13 (NRSV)
 
Stuck in the pages of my Bible are many devotionals from The Upper Room. Words written by people around the world have inspired me as I read them again and sometimes share them with a friend. Today I am looking at a prayer workshop article from 2007 entitled,
“Our Children, God’s Children.”* I have re-read this article over the years as we have experienced conflict in our family. Mental illness, estrangement, and one son’s loss of faith have torn us apart.








Today I think of my friend, Pat, who is living through great pain with her children and grandchildren. I decide to take her to lunch and give her the article, praying that the words will lift her as they have often lifted me. In 2 Corinthians 1:4, Paul describes God as one “who consoles us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to console those who are in any affliction with the consolation with which we ourselves are consoled by God.
God wants to comfort us so that we are then able to pass on God’s comfort to another. Our wonderful God works through imperfect people like you and me. Even in our brokenness we can serve God. Even our pain can be a gift when we receive God’s comfort and pass it on to another.

Thought for the Day

Who needs to receive God’s comfort through me today?

Prayer

Dear Lord, lead us today to someone who needs your strengthening word. Amen. *Available to read at: devotional.upperroom.org/issues/may-jun2007/prayer_workshop.
Prayer focus  - A friend in pain