Monday, August 19, 2013

God’s Best

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

New International Version (NIV)
7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But the Lord said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
 
herefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 
 
 
 
 
My husband had high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, all complications of diabetes.
He underwent a variety of tests, and the medical professionals sought a solution for each new complication. How reassuring to know that he was in the hospital, under the care of doctors who knew exactly what they were doing! A sign posted in the hospital read, “Our doctors are at their best when you are not.” This proved to be true when my husband became ill.
 
 
Since reading the sign, I contemplate the thought that “God is at God’s best when we are not.” God knows what is happening in our lives when nothing makes sense to us. God knows our weaknesses and understands our frustration and despair. In the Bible we can find what we need to see us through. The promises revealed in scripture offer us comfort and assurance. When we are having the most difficult experience possible, we can remember that “God is at God’s best when we are not.”

Thought for the Day

When we are not at our best, God is.

Prayer

God of power and healing, how reassuring to know you are with us! Grant that we never forget your goodness and power. In the name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.
Prayer focusMedical professionals